Sometimes a crumb falls
From the tables of joy,
Sometimes a bone
Is flung.
To some people
Love is given,
To others
Only heaven.
Thank you Langston Hughes. This is a lovely poem I found in a book that should have been picked up by me long ago. I was searching for a poetry book on our big old shelf...don't ask me why...and I came across this one:
I read and read and read. Each poem was like a motivator for me to keep reading. Truly, all of them were incredible. The words like honey in some, hard bricks that hurt in others. I ended up flipping to the middle like I always do in books. And I happened to read the last stanza of the one above, entitled "Luck."
Why did it make me cry?
Out of nowhere, I just started to cry. Tears were streaming down my face. I stil don't know how that happened.
But I do know this:
Those words just...were so beautiful to me at the time. And even now, I just can't get enough of them. So...perfect.
Poetry, I am now discovering, is like a window to new experiences in reading. Lately, the only titles I've dared to pick up are written specifically for young adults. But this is another...a different...work of art. Now I know why I wanted to find a poetry book. And I can't regret finding this one on the dusty shelf.
I love it.
That's great, Less! You have a new passion!!!
ReplyDeleteThat book sounds awesome!
ReplyDelete'Tis true. :) I guess I do.
ReplyDeleteAnd, the book is awesome! Read it!